Nintendo owns U.S. Patent 5,265,888 on this Tetris-like puzzle game, but that didn't stop me from illegally cloning it for the PC at http://pineight.8m.com/drm.htm as part of freepuzzlearena.

It started on the NES and was ported to VS Unisystem, Game Boy, Super NES, and Nintendo 64 (the N64 version didn't turn out so well; see the review). Here's how it works: Viruses are floating inside a bottle. Two-sided vitamin capsules fall slowly from the top of the bottle. Use the joystick to move and rotate the capsules so that four items (viruses or capsule halves) of the same color are contiguous in a row or column. With skillful play, you can set it up so that capsule halves created after a combination create new four-in-a-row combinations. There's also an addictive deathmatch mode, where you can use such chain reactions to attack your opponent.

P.S. My clone ("Vitamins") is themable; a color-blind user (one who cannot tell red from green because of a cheap display or color vision deficiency) could go into the GIMP and create a theme giving the viruses distinct shapes.

© 2001 Damian Yerrick.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the writeup entitled "GNU Free Documentation License".